[xsl] Processing List of Links

Subject: [xsl] Processing List of Links
From: John <john-xsl-list@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 08:52:07 -0800
Hi Everyone,

I am relatively new to XSL, have some trouble adjusting to the paradigm and am unsure of the quality of my approach and code. I know this is a broad and general question and I don't expect any response, but if anyone has time and is willing to take a look I would appreciate it. The links in this message are not trying to sell anything - this is just something I'm using to replace bookmarks, since I tend to work on a number of machines. Also, anyone is welcome to copy the code anywhere - it's mostly scraps collected off the Internet anyway. Any additional links, other enhancements or general feedback would also be appreciated, but it might be better to collect those off-list.

I am using http://jpw3.com/links.xsl to transform http://jpw3.com/links.xml. This basically takes a list of nodes such as the following:

<section name="SUBJECT">
  <links>
    <link name="TEXT" href="URL">
      <link name="TEXT" href="URL" />
    </link>
    <link name="TEXT" href="URL" />
  </links>
</section>

And creates an HTML table with nested lists. I am wondering if my XSL takes the "best" approach, or what alternatives I should consider, especially as I would like to make the following enhancements:

-Dynamically determine the number of columns based on the number of sections
-Group sections in rows by the number of links they contain such that cells have the most consistent height
-Process multiple XML files
-Another XSL that formats more like http://jpw3.com/search.html
-CSS positioning

Thanks and regards,