Re: [xsl] use XSLT or XQuery in Saxon?

Subject: Re: [xsl] use XSLT or XQuery in Saxon?
From: Niclas Hedhman <niclas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:21:10 +0800
On Thursday 06 January 2005 06:53, alan m wrote:

> I have extremely large (over 300 MB) XML file and tens
> of thousands of small xml files generated after
> applying various XSLT on the one big XML file.

I don't know whether Mr Kay have tested Saxon with 100+MB files or not, but we
did (6.5.?), and could not get a simple transform to complete within hours (I
think we gave up after ~4hours on a 80-100MB file), on a machine with 1GB of
RAM.

I wrote a custom transformer in Java doing exactly what we needed using;
 *  SAX events
 *  Only keeping one branch/leaf of the XML tree in memory at any time.
 *  Aggregation of content into small mutable value objects, which were output
and discarded when completed.

1500 files, varying from 360MB to ~10MB of a total of ~10GB could be processed
in a linear speed of ~2MB per second, or close to the disk drive speed, on a
dual CPU workstation.

I suspect that you will end up in 'custom transformer' territory, but perhaps
Saxon has improved and can deal with the transforms you give it. I suggest
that you make some simple tests first, which somewhat ressemble what you need
to do later.

Cheers
Niclas
--
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

|   http://www.dpml.net        |
|  http://niclas.hedhman.org   |