Re: [xsl] Re: XML / XSL Editors

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: XML / XSL Editors
From: Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 12:09:36 -0500
On Jan 6, 2005, at 11:59 AM, Antsnio Mota wrote:

Also, i had a look at Relax NG but didn't understand what it is. It
seems a alternative to Schema?

Yes. And many people believe a superior alternative. OpenOffice, DocBook and TEI -- to name just a few high profile document schemas -- are all authored in RNG.

A replacement for DTD?

Yes.

However it's not a W3C standard, or is it?

No. IIRC, it is an ISO standard though.

I like RNG because it's easy to learn (before learning it, I didn't
even know how to write a DTD), but is more powerful (for what I do)
than XML Schema.  Simple examples:

in RNG, you can condition validation on attributes; in XSD you cannot
in RNG you can validate irrespective of element order; in XSD you cannot

Both of these features are really useful.

The other thing I like about RNG is Trang, which is a tool that allows
you to convert RNG schemas to XSD or DTD (assuming you don't use
RNG-only features, of course).

Bruce