RE: [xsl] use XSLT or XQuery in Saxon?

Subject: RE: [xsl] use XSLT or XQuery in Saxon?
From: Pieter Reint Siegers Kort <pieter.siegers@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 12:05:39 -0600
Hi alan,

> I have extremely large (over 300 MB) XML file and tens of thousands of
small xml files generated after applying various XSLT on the one big XML
file.

I wonder how did you manage to run those XSLTs? Any performance problems?
What tools/approach did you use?

Another Q is that you didn't mention what your problem was exactly.... was
it related with the process of creating all those little XML documents? Are
they representing the big XML file?

IMO, that big XML file should never have been created at first - the data
should have been put in a database, it would have made querying afterwards
that much easier. But well, that's too late now - so like Michael Kay
suggests, if querying that big XML is your problem, you could use a SAX
approach where memory will not be heavily used to process your queries.

Another observation: don't put more than say 1000 files into one folder.
Folders that have more files tend to getting difficult to handle.

Cheers,
<prs/>