Re: [xsl] XML / XSL Editors

Subject: Re: [xsl] XML / XSL Editors
From: Antonio Mota <amsmota@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:09:54 +0000
Below are the results of my tests. A more friendly view is at http://gti.clientes.gtinformatica.pt/Site/Java/XMLEd.html . I've defined a number of itens that are important to my analysis, and classified then on a 0-5 scale. This scale is not homogeneous. In some itens there's only a 0/3 classification for have/have not. Others are a quantitative reference for features availability (multiple processors, for instance). The others are my subjective classification.

I take the "dumb-guy" approach, in wich i'm very good at :) so i've started by droping Topologi cause it seems very complicated to test in such a short time.

The last lines are the sum of the features taxonomies, a DEV/DATA classification of usability from the development / data entry point of view, the PRICEs and the RATIO of the sum of classifications vs price.

To my conclusion i'll ignore the XMLWriter value because the "features" value is too low, altought the ratio is high due to is it's also low price.

That let Exchanger as the one with higher features/price ratio, with oXygen near by. Since i didn't explore that XForms (XSmiles) possibilty and there are two features in oXygen that i as a developer think are valuable (the Trang thing :) and the multiple processors) probably my advice to my boss in a 500 budget frame is to buy some mix of oXygen (1-2) and Exchanger (3-4) editors, that should cover both our development and data-entry needs.

If someone sees a coarse error in the analyses please let me know. And i welcome your comments too.

Thanks all for your help.

XMLSpy Oxygen Exchanger StylusStudi XMLWriter

Define XML Structures 0 0 3 0 2
Visual Restriction of Va 3 0 0 0 0
Copy&Paste XML Nodes 3 0 2 0 2
Tree View 3 3 3 4 5