RE: [xsl] alternative to namespace exmaple

Subject: RE: [xsl] alternative to namespace exmaple
From: "Mark Lundquist" <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:26:09 -0800
> From: dmitrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmitrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
>
> I found a very similar version of the following xml and xsl
> online. In this code namespaces are used
> in order to subtract the sums for us and them. My xml code is
> structured similarly, and was summing
> values for all of the xml. The xsl now needs to subtract in a
> similar way to this example. Is this the
> best way to do it? By assigning namespaces to the xml tags? Or is
> there a better alternative?

Hi Dmitri,

I think maybe you are misinterpreting that example? :-).  The use of
namespaces in the example code is arbitrary and not essential - it's not a
part of the solution to the problem, just part of the set-up for the
example.  The data has to come from _somewhere_ :-)...  I'm sure the intent
of the sample code is not to say, "OK, if you want to subtract two sums, you
should start by structuring your data in this particular way with these
namespaces."  The goal isn't to be able to copy+paste that example code
verbatim.

> <xsl:value-of select="format-number(sum(//us:value) - sum(//them:value),

Right, that's pretty much all there is to it.  You would write that as

<xsl:value-of select="format-number(sum(//us-value) - sum(//them-value),

if that's how your data is structured... or whatever! :-)

HTH,
-ml-