Re: [xsl] Trying to Achieve inside/outside offset column layouts: any thoughts?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Trying to Achieve inside/outside offset column layouts: any thoughts?
From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:08:58 -0600
Pawson, David wrote:

Eliot, is the 'inside/outside offset-column layout' irrelevant here,
or is that a part of the problem? I'm unsure how they relate.

It is the key to the problem:

To get a float into the margin you specify a negative margin on the float's contents. The properties for this are "margin-left" and "margin-right" and float="start" or float="end".

If the margin you want to place in is on the left on even pages and on the right on odd pages, then you would have to specify either margin-left/float="start" or margin-right/float="end" depending on whether the page you're on is an odd page or an even page.

At XSLT time you *cannot know* what the parity of the page is, therefore you have no way to select the correct properties.

Adding the values "inside" and "outside" to float get you at least part of the way.

RenderX has posted what appears to be a solution that works without the additional extensions I mentioned. I haven't yet had a chance to try it but I will.

Cheers,

E.
--
W. Eliot Kimber