Re: [xsl] generating numerical character entities in html output

Subject: Re: [xsl] generating numerical character entities in html output
From: Rossella Rosin <tanataviele@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:16:40 +0100
At 12.12 18/01/2005, you wrote:
Note that numerical character references are not entity references (the
archives will show a longish threaad on this subject within the last
month or so)

duh. I didn't even think of searching for numerical character "references" sorry. Anything like &*; looks like an entity to me, so that's what I looked for. I will go and read the thread, promised.

Normally when an ampersand is linearised on output it is written as
&amp; but d-o-e stops that and it will generate a & not &amp; (which
appears to be the opposite of what you said).

msxml does that, not my fault :-). I will try other processors.

personally I wouldn't try to get character references in output, I doubt
that any email scrapper that is capable of reading an html page at all
will be able to read these so it isn't really hiding anything.

See my answer to Michael Kay for a reply to this.

If you really want them, XSLT probably isn't your system of choice.

I'm starting to suspect so. I have other means to deal with that, so my interest for solving the problem in xslt is sort of speculative. Anyway whatever "&#64;" is, an "entity" or a "reference" or anything else, it *should* be possible to generate it so the impossibility or difficulty in doing it should be considered something of a "bug" of xslt. I can live with that :-) but it's a pity anyway.

Rossella