Re: [xsl] XSLT use cases; data-centric to document-centric transformations

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT use cases; data-centric to document-centric transformations
From: Kenneth Stephen <marvin.the.cynical.robot@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 12:06:23 -0600
On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:23:40 +0100, Peter Gerstbach <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But use case 3) has a problem: in my opinion XSLT is not really intended
> to transform data-centric XML into a document-centric XML. Of course it
> can be done, but the programming style is more imperative (for-each)
> than template based (apply-template). There are a lot of tools, which
> try to solve this data-document-transformation e.g. Altova StlyeVision
> or StylusStudio XSLT Designer. But I think they don't succeed because
> the generated code is mainly inside only one very big template with
> imperative statements.

Peter,

    It seems to me that you are talking about the pull vs push style
of XSLT programming and in your use case #3, it is the "pull" style.
And, if I read you correctly, your uneasiness with this style is that
the tools are generating monlithic code. However, even in the pull
style, XSLT will allow a modular programming style by the use of
call-template . The fact that you dont get modular code is a problem
with the tools.

Regards,
Kenneth