RE: [xsl] Disable namespace declaration in output XML

Subject: RE: [xsl] Disable namespace declaration in output XML
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:25:54 -0000
> What puzzles me is that it isn't done automatically. Why is
> it added to the result tree when it isn't used?

Because namespace prefixes can appear in element or attribute content, the
system can't tell whether a namespace is used or not.

In fact I've seen XML vocabularies (the Unicode LDML [1] is an example)
where a namespace declaration is required to appear on an element even
though it the namespace prefix is not used in that element or any of its
attributes.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

[1] http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr35/