Re: [xsl] using variables in xsl value of select

Subject: Re: [xsl] using variables in xsl value of select
From: "Joris Gillis" <roac@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:50:17 +0100
Tempore 16:24:24, die 02/18/2005 AD, hinc in xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx scripsit Prasad Akella <avlnprasad@xxxxxx>:

i am loading an xml into a variable using the document as

<xsl:variable name="srcxml" select="document('QP_Sample.xml')" />

i have certain conditions to check and then am getting the node whose value has to be retrived from this xml

<xsl:variable name="node">
                       <xsl:call-template name="tail">
                            <xsl:with-param name="string" select="@ref"/>
                        </xsl:call-template>
</xsl:variable>

this node gives me the end of the node for example if i have
A/B/C/D then this tail template returns D into my node

I would like to get the value of this node from the above xml for which i am using

<xsl:value-of select="$srcxml//$node"/>

Hi,

So you'd like to dynamically generate an Xpath, like if there should be written:
<xsl:value-of select="$srcxml//D"/>

That is fundamentally not possible. But when the expression is this simple, you can mimic it:

<xsl:value-of select="$srcxml//*[local-name()=$node]"/>
This selects all descendant elements of $srcxml whose (local) name is stringwise equal to the string contained in variable 'node'.

regards, -- Joris Gillis (http://www.ticalc.org/cgi-bin/acct-view.cgi?userid=38041) "Quot capita, tot sententiae" - Terentius , Phormio 454