Re: [xsl] Result still indented despite indent="no"

Subject: Re: [xsl] Result still indented despite indent="no"
From: Mukul Gandhi <mukul_gandhi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 04:24:32 -0800 (PST)
Hi David,
  Please read my doubts.. below your comments..

--- David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> No. What's supposed to happen is that the parser
> reports all white space,
> always,

If it should be like this.. Than xml:space="preserve"
or "default" would be non-functional! Since its
purpose is to direct XML parser to preserve or strip
white spaces!

>but marks some white space as ignorable so
> that higher level
> applications such as xslt can ignore it if they so
> choose, or in an
> application like xslt have options (settable with
> xsl:stip-space and
> xsl;preserve-space) on whether to ignore it or not.
> If the parser really
> removes the white space (even if it got the correct
> white space nodes)
> then an application doesn't get much choice in the
> matter.

I agree with you on this point! The IE's XML parser is
stripping white spaces by default. So the XSLT
processor is not able to exercise control with
xsl:preserve-space or xsl:strip-space .. And as a
workaround to this, we have to use
xml:space="preserve".. But with xml:space="preserve"
in source XML, xsl:preserve-space and xsl:strip-space
are not functioning in IE. This I feel is an important
bug?

> It's white space behaviour means it is utterly
> broken as an XML document
> browser.

I would agree with this..

>You won't have any difficulty in finding
> people at MS who will
> agree with that. However you might have difficulty
> in getting them to
> change it (I hear there's going to be an IE7..) if
> you change it then
> some stylesheets will behave differently and the
> problem with
> distributing a piece of software to 90% of the
> world's desktops is that
> people use it, and changing anything in a backward
> incompatible way
> (even if it is fixing a bug) can get expensive (for
> your clients, not
> for the person making the change). So it's a
> commercial issue not a
> technical one.

I suggested earlier.., if we can have option in future
versions of IE like use MSXML 4.0, MSXML 3.0 or MSXML
2.0, would it be a useful feature? Just like we have
choices for HTTP (HTTP 1.1 and HTTP 1.0).
This feature in IE might mitigate the risk you are
highlighting..

Regards,
Mukul