Re: [xsl] Result still indented despite indent="no"

Subject: Re: [xsl] Result still indented despite indent="no"
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:41:22 GMT
  If it should be like this.. Than xml:space="preserve"
  or "default" would be non-functional! Since its
  purpose is to direct XML parser to preserve or strip
  white spaces!

No. That may (or may not) be how it is implemented but logically
parsing happens before XSLT starts, the _input_ to XSLT is a tree
generated by the parser. xsl:strip-space is an instruction to xslt
whether or not to ignore certain white space nodes in the input,
not an instruction to an xml parser to not generate those nodes.

  I suggested earlier.., if we can have option in future
  versions of IE

You can ask, but it will be a very long way down a very long list of
requested improvements. lack of support for xhtml, css, svg, xforms, etc
etc etc affect a lot more people. And that's just windows. IE on the mac
is another story again. If people care about these things, they're
probably using firefox already. If they don't care (and clearly, a lot
don't) then it's going to be hard to persuade anyone to implement this
stuff.

If you want to put pressure on vendors to implement a set of standards
in a conformant way then that is clearly a good thing, but W3C isn't the
organisation to do that. It can't put pressure on vendors; it is,
essentially, a private club of those vendors. Not everyone working on
W3C specs works for a W3C member company (Michael Kay is an invited
expert on XSL and Xquery Working Groups, I'm an invited expert on the
Math Interest Group for example) but the basic structure is that it is a
consortium of companies.

David

http://www.star.net.uk