Re: [xsl] Beginners XML/XSLT book: suggestions?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Beginners XML/XSLT book: suggestions?
From: James Fuller <jim.fuller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:00:13 +0100
as an addenda;

books are good but there are vast amount of resources online such as www.dpawson.co.uk XSLT FAQ

XSLT normally finds itself combined in some host context, e.g. a Java developers perspective towards XML processing in general would be very different to a PHP developers....and as XSLT (should) remain the same, you may find yourself doing party contortions....generally;

XSLT Books
-----------------

Michael Kay's XSLT 2.0 (latest edition), must exist on your desktop

Jeni Tennisons Latest edition of Beginning XSLT 2.0 (APRESS not WROX)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1590593243/qid=1109579778/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/103-0760702-7495050?v=glance&s=books
Note: Having had the pleasure of technically reviewing Dr. Tennison's 1st edition of Beginning XSLT, from WROX; I think its spot on with respect to beginners...and if u can get that edition at a good price then I would also get it in addition to the new book on XSLT 2.0 from APRESS.

Jeni Tennison's XSLT/XPATH on the EDGE being more of a cookbook of solutions to intermediate-hard XSLT problems and should be on the bookshelf as well

Learning XSLT by Michael Fitzgerald

XSLT Cookbook by Sal Mangano

note: XSL:FO by David Pawson is a good reference, XSL:FO is starting to crop up in my monthly/weekly life and getting an understanding of it augments your XSLT karma

Other useful books/sites ------------------------------

Elliote Rusty Harold's Effective XML is an excellent all-rounder tome
http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/effectivexml/

Note dont forget XML Design Handbook, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/186100768X/qid=1109579967/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-0760702-7495050?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
which Dr. Tennison assisted in as well...it has a few XSLT nuggets and general XML stuff.

Professional php4 xml was a useful tome for those PHP inclined, though with PHP5 is admittedly out of date

and for the java newbie out there, sometimes its useful to dig through the past...http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava/ is an online book (prev work by Elliote Rusty Harold),

and for the .NET and MSXML inclined I have found that www.topxml.com and MSDN's XML section seemed to answer most questions..though I dont tend to work on the platform

as for those using the (transformix) built in Mozilla XSLT processor, I have yet to find an authoratative site/book...though I have had little problems with XSLT itself...

as for those c/c++inclined I use sablotron from www.gingerall.cz, whom answered my questions over the years...though the more 'in vogue' libxslt has all the info you need from its site http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/

gl, Jim Fuller