Re: [xsl] Bash scritp

Subject: Re: [xsl] Bash scritp
From: Menzo Windhouwer <windhouw@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 16:59:47 +0100
Hi,

Maybe the XMLStarlet tool can help you here
(see http://xmlstar.sourceforge.net/). You can specify an
XPath expression on the command line, and it will get the
value for you.

So if you have the following document in ~/tmp/test.xml:

<foo>
   <date>today</date>
   <creator>me</creator>
</foo>

The following call to the XMLStarlet tool xml will give you the date:

xml select -T -t -v '//date' ~/tmp/test.xml

Example in a bash script:

#!/bin/bash
FILE="$HOME/tmp/test.xml"
DATE=`xml select -T -t -v '//date' $FILE`
echo $DATE

This script will print the date for you ...

Hope this helps,

Menzo Windhouwer

Beatriz Langiano wrote:

Hi Hardy,

Thanks by your help, but what I need read some specifics elements of a XML document, as I do in XSLT, for example:

<date>
<xsl:value-of select= "." />
</date>

<creator>
<xsl:value-of select= "." />
</date>

My script must read these elements values and insert them in a database.

Thanks, Beatriz

--- Hardy Merrill <HMerrill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is a bit (a lot) off topic for this list, but
I'll humor you since
I like Linux :)

I'll give this a shot, but please know that I
haven't done anything in
Linux and Bash in quite a while, so take this with a
grain of salt ;-)

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but if
all you want to do
is "read" the XML document, I think(?) you could
pipe the XML file to
your bash script, and have the bash script read it
line by line from
standard input (STDIN).  I can't remember how to set
up the read loop in
bash, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.  I
think you could
probably find all you need by doing

man bash

at a command prompt.

HTH.

Hardy Merrill

kevin.rodgers@xxxxxxx 03/08/05 10:25 AM >>>

Beatriz Langiano writes:

I was writing a bash script (in linux), and I'd

like

to to read a XML document, like in XSLT.
Does somebody know how I could do this?

I haven't tried it, but William Park maintains a
souped-up version of
bash that includes XML support (nothing like
XPath/XSLT though):

http://freshmeat.net/projects/bashdiff/index.html#xml

http://home.eol.ca/~parkw/index.html#xml

--
Kevin Rodgers

Beatriz Langiano Mestrado em Informatica Universidade Federal do Parana - Brasil

Converse com seus amigos em tempo real com o Yahoo! Messenger http://br.download.yahoo.com/messenger/

--
Menzo Windhouwer, Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI)
Kruislaan 413, NL 1098 SJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands