Re: [xsl] Is there a reason for not using XSLT 2.0 as a default

Subject: Re: [xsl] Is there a reason for not using XSLT 2.0 as a default
From: JBryant@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 12:39:59 -0600
I've been using XSLT 2.0 and the various versions of Saxon 8 since July of
2004. I've had very little trouble with either. Dr. Kay fixed the one bug
I found in Saxon 8 within a day (and I had already thought of a
work-around).

I can see two issues. First, you'll tie yourself to a single vendor.
That's not much of an issue, since you would probably pick a single vendor
anyway and since Saxonica is a fine vendor. Second, the 2.0 specification
may change before it is finalized. However, that risk seems to be low, as
the working group is winding down (so I gather anyway).

I have been solving problems for my clients without undue difficulty (and
often much more easily than I could with XSLT 1) for 8 months now. Based
on my experience, I recommend that you go with Saxon 8 and XSLT 2.0.

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

Daniel O'Donnell <daniel.odonnell@xxxxxxxx>
03/08/2005 12:26 PM
Please respond to
xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[xsl] Is there a reason for not using XSLT 2.0 as a default

Hi,
                 I have a question that calls for informed opinion: is
there a reason
for not using xslt 2.0 for most processing tasks? I'm thinking
especially privatish, and pre-processed things rather than on-the-fly
commercial applications.
                 The standard is now pretty stable, correct? and the
processors seems to
be working well. Saxon 8b-3 is very good, and since Saxon 6.5.3 has a
bug that seems to stop it writing properly in Service pack two XP
machines, it may be a good time to switch anyway.
                 No doubt a trivial question, but I'd be interested in
hearing what
people think. I'm engaged in a couple of new project involving xslt
where the question of 1.0 or 2.0 is real.
-dan
--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Associate Professor of English