[xsl] performance issues

Subject: [xsl] performance issues
From: tom.kirkpatrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:07:25 +0000
I have a generic XSL stylesheet which I use to transform multiple
documents. This stylesheet contains a great number of templates, some of
which are only used once, on one particular type of source document.

If I have lots of templates all in one file like this, is it likely to
cause any performance issues? Or are the templates only loaded as and when
they are needed?

(I am processing with Apache::AxKit)

Likewise, if I set up a variable which is effectively a pointer to an
external document via the document() function, like so:

<xsl:variable name = "testDoc"
select="document('/www/xml/testDoc.xml')/root/>

Does this cause the processor to load the contents of the document into
memory, or will it not actually do that untill I make a futher attempt to
try and acces some information from this document like so:

<xsl:value-of select="$testDoc/item[@id = $id]/@name"/>

--
Tom David Kirkpatrick
Virus Bulletin Web Developer, Virus Bulletin

Tel: +44 1235 555139
Web: www.virusbtn.com