RE: [xsl] what does this statement mean?

Subject: RE: [xsl] what does this statement mean?
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:58:13 -0000
To try and answer the original question, the "normal" way of processing a
tree in XSLT is that the template rule for each node processes that node,
and calls <apply-templates/> to process all its children, handling each one
using the template rules that matches that node.

This works fine in most cases. But sometimes you need finer control. The
code in this stylesheet (as corrected) is walking the tree more carefully:
from a SubConcepts node it invokes apply-templates to process the first
child (that's what *[1] means), and from that child it processes the next
sibling (using following-sibling::*[1]). This allows you to do things like
stopping at the first child that satisfies a particular condition.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/