Re: [xsl] xsl manual sort order

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl manual sort order
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:11:19 -0500
Dan,

Using a for-each, the order nodes come out in when there's no sort is the same as their order in the source: "document order" as the XPath 1.0 Rec defines it.

You say you're trying to "match the order of [your] output to a word document". But this information (whatever happens to be in a word document somewhere) isn't accessible to the XSLT processor, unless you take some measures to make it so. If that order is important, it makes sense to represent it in your source document, either in the order of the nodes or, if this isn't possible (maybe some operation can't be trusted to keep the nodes in order) then by some other means, such as annotating the elements with an attribute they can be sorted on. But this is only one way to do it.

Sorry I can't be more specific without more info. If you can tell us more about how your desired order is specified, maybe we can suggest ways of representing and using that spec to drive your processing (or even whether you have to).

Cheers,
Wendell