Re: [xsl] New Developer Survey Shows XQuery Adoption Skyrocketing

Subject: Re: [xsl] New Developer Survey Shows XQuery Adoption Skyrocketing
From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:40:48 -0500
Tony Lavinio wrote:
Dear XSL-List,

Obviously XQuery vendor adoption is huge, but what about actual
developer adoption of XQuery and should XSLT fans be concerned?
DataDirect conducted a survey of 550 software professionals and
found that 52% of those surveyed were already using XQuery, and
that another 33% said that they plan to use XQuery in the next
12 months! The free study investigates who is using XQuery, what
industries are benefiting, and why. You can download the survey
results here: http://www.datadirect.com/xquerystudy/

I considered filling out the form so I could read the study, but frankly I don't want more marketing spam, and I doubt this survey is anything else. I'm incredulous at this claim. I don't know how you came up with those numbers but they're so far off what I see in the field I can't help but believe it's a poor study. In my experience, I think maybe 52% of "software professionals" are conscious of using XML, much less XQuery. The idea that 52% of all software professionals are using XQuery today is so far off of reality, I can't believe it. Where was this survey taken? At an XQuery user group meeting? Phone calls to Mark Logic's customer list?

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx