Re: Re[2]: [xsl] Transformation using Saxon.Net-1.0-RC1

Subject: Re: Re[2]: [xsl] Transformation using Saxon.Net-1.0-RC1
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 09:56:55 +1000
> Meanwhile please be aware that the current Saxon.NET project is at arms'
> length from Saxonica: the developers have my encouragement to see what they
> can achieve, but I have no control over the quality of their deliverables.
>
> Michael Kay
> http://www.saxonica.com/

I have played a little with Saxon.NET and tested it with all FXSL
modules. Other XSLT 2.0 processor developers have already used FXSL to
test their products and have praised this as a quite exhaustive and
revealing experience. Saxon.NET passes very well all these tests.

The results are that Saxon.Net behaves essentially as Saxon8.3 with
very minor exceptions. For me using Saxon.NET (the command-line
utility transform.exe integrated with XSelerator) is fully acceptable.

Typically a transformation with Saxon.NET may take 5-10% longer than
with Saxon8.3

However, there are isolated cases (predominantly when arithmetic
calculations are performed) when a Saxon.NET transformation  may be as
much as twice faster as the corresponding Saxon 8.3  one.

This means that for a large class of XSLT 2.0 programmers (like me)
Saxon.NET is fully usable right now. One advantage of using Saxon.NET
is that there's no need to download and install any Java VM -- just
copy the Saxon.NET assemblies into a folder and off you go.

What I'd be glad to have in the near future is the ability to pass to
the transformation extension objects, written in native .NET languages
like C#. AFAIK M.D.Peterson is working on this and I am confident he
will have good results soon.

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev