Re: [xsl] How to output trademark character in standards-compliant mode

Subject: Re: [xsl] How to output trademark character in standards-compliant mode
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:25:53 +0100
> I realize that &#153; is undefined in ISO-8859-1 because it reserves values
> 127-159 for control characters,

character references _never_ refer to the encoding of the file, they
always refer to unicode positions: that's their main function, to allow
you to access characters that are not in the encoding.

>  so I tried to encode this using hexadecimal notation
> &#x2122; as well as decimal notation &#8482;

Either of those should have worked. Most XSL systems would output that
as & t r a d e ; in html output method, but whether or not it outputs
using an entity ref, it shhould work in your browser.
You say it didn't work, what output did msxml4 produce, and  and what
did the browser do?

David

http://www.star.net.uk