RE: [xsl] xsl:number question (XSLT 1.0)

Subject: RE: [xsl] xsl:number question (XSLT 1.0)
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 16:46:16 +0100
> I can see where Mike Kay got his implementation, though:
> "separated from
> the preceding number by the separator token preceding the
> format token
> used to format that number". However, the "after the first"
> part makes me
> think that the opening "(" should not apply to numbers after
> the first.

Heh? The sentence says specifically that it applies to numbers after the
first, so what makes you think that it should not apply to numbers after the
first?

However, there is a subtlety in the wording that I had previously missed. It
says

"Non-alphanumeric tokens that occur between two format tokens are separator
tokens that are used to join numbers in the list."

This can be read as a definition of the term "separator token" which then
affects the meaning of the last sentence:

"Each number after the first will be separated from the preceding number by
the separator token preceding the format token used to format that number,
or, if there are no separator tokens, then by . (a period character)."

If that's the case, then there are no separator tokens, so the last clause
applies, and Xalan has it right.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/