Re: [xsl] XSL - Transforming 2 XSL stylesheets from 1 XML file

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL - Transforming 2 XSL stylesheets from 1 XML file
From: Colin Paul Adams <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 05 May 2005 16:05:29 +0100

    >> But in practice you are right - it IS fantasy to hope for user
    >> agents to follow the standards.

    Andrew> :) Maybe that's a good description of the original Nokia
    Andrew> 7110 browser...

    Andrew> I wasn't in any way being critical of mobile devices /
    Andrew> browsers not complying with the standard (as I think you
    Andrew> are)

You are right - I am. What's the point of "implementing" a standard in
a way that doesn't comply with it?

    Andrew> are), I was suggesting whoever wrote the spec was in

James Clark was the Editor.

    Andrew> fantasy land when they conceived the xml-stylesheet PI and
    Andrew> its media type attribute - it was a bit naove to expect
    Andrew> any mobile device to look for the PI with a 'handheld'
    Andrew> media type, perform the transformation itself, and then
    Andrew> get this univeral 'handheld' markup back that looks great
    Andrew> on all mobile devices....

Why is this naive? If a handheld device is going to the trouble of
looking up an xml-stylesheet PI and performing the transformation,
then it's trivial (compared with the step of performing the
transformation) to select the right one.

    Andrew> The whole idea of associating a stylesheet with an XML
    Andrew> document by hard-coding it into the XML is wrong

It certainly isn't wrong - it's an excellent idea, enabling clients to
offload work from busy servers

    Andrew> it's a practice best avoided.

This is harder to argue against, given the lamentable state of
existing implementations.
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire