Re: [xsl] xsl:apply-templates behaving differently depending on the node copied?

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl:apply-templates behaving differently depending on the node copied?
From: Mukul Gandhi <mukul_gandhi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 18:50:00 -0700 (PDT)
--- knocte <knocte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks Mukul (and Aron), this works for me. However,
> doesn't this method
> mean that after the main <html>...</html> is formed,
> it is read again to
> parse the TD element change? isn't there a more
> efficient way which
> makes the copy in one scan of the XML contents
> instead of two?

I don't think the stylesheet I posted can be made more
efficient.. XSLT requires us to program in a
particular programming style. The source XML document
is read, and a tree is constructed in memory. For each
node in the input XML(tree), a template rule is
executed (either we specify the rule, or a built in
rule is selected. conflict resolution for rules also
takes place). Each template rule creates part of the
result tree. At the end, we get a final result tree,
which is serialized to get the required output..
The XSLT processors may do internal optimizations
(they do in fact). As stylesheet writers, we can use
efficient constructs.. For the problem you posted, the
stylesheet I posted was the natural way to solve the
problem.. There was not much room for further
optimization!

Regards,
Mukul