RE: [xsl] Better include them in the XSLT 2.0 spec (Was: Re: [xsl] Time for an exslt for 2.0?)

Subject: RE: [xsl] Better include them in the XSLT 2.0 spec (Was: Re: [xsl] Time for an exslt for 2.0?)
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 22:02:08 +0100
> Maybe it's still not too-late for @memo-function and environment
> variables in system-property() to be included in the standard XSLT 2.0

I think it's too late for any new features, especially any that require
debate.

The debate with memo-function would be about whether it actually has any
semantics, or is merely a performance hint. Could a conformant processor
ignore it? What is the effect on a "creative" function, one that constructs
new nodes each time it is called?

The debate about environment variables would be whether there is any meaning
to the term that's independent of particular computing platforms, and about
whether anything we said in this area would have any more substance than
saying nothing. If we made a general statement that allowed one
implementation to interpret it as meaning operating system variables and
another as meaning Java system properties, then we wouldn't have achieved
much.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/