Re: [xsl] configuring a conditional

Subject: Re: [xsl] configuring a conditional
From: Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 08:10:51 -0400
On May 23, 2005, at 4:07 AM, Michael Kay wrote:

The way you're tackling it, you're going to need to build those expressions
before evaluating them - I wonder if that's really necessary?

My project is a general solution to citation formatting, in which all presentational details are configured in the non-XSL XML language. The example I posted is actually a real-world style -- APA -- I need to support. See:

http://www.english.uiuc.edu/cws/wworkshop/writer_resources/ citation_styles/apa/multiple_authors.htm
http://www.english.uiuc.edu/cws/wworkshop/writer_resources/ citation_styles/apa/intext_citation.htm

I suppose another approach would be a named parameter for the logic coupled with a function and/or template? If currently my et al. is configured with a single attribute like:

<names initialize-with=". " shorten-after="3" and-as=" &amp;"/>

... then maybe I have:

<names initialize-with=". " shorten-rule="apa" and-as=" &amp;"/>

The problem is that I'm pretty sure the specifics of these rules can vary a fair bit, at least in fairly trivial areas. For example, APA maybe interested in preserving the first six authors in a list, but another style will be interested interested in the first ten.

Bruce