RE: [xsl] overwriting certain blocks of output - two queries

Subject: RE: [xsl] overwriting certain blocks of output - two queries
From: "Aron Bock" <aronbock@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 21:55:49 +0000
input.xml (call to first.xsl) --> first.xsl (some processing) --> first.xml (use saxon:next-in-chain) -->second.xsl (target certain o/p areas of first.xml) -->second.xml (final result)

I'm not qualified to speak to next-in-chain, but from hearsay it should address what you want. Howeve, note that in principle interim output need not be serialised as files--they could just be held in memory and fed to the next stylesheet in chain.

How do I overwrite certain nodes while preserving the remaining structure?
Also is it possible to overwrite other blocks of first.xml retrospectively, say the block Top/Parts/A, if a certain condition is met later on ?

Note that there's no notion of "overwriting" things -- the interim output, fed to the next stylesheet in chain, is, for all it knows, brand new input, for it to preserve or munge as it will. Stylesheets after the first could refer to the original input (via document(), for instance), but the chaining business simply obviates the need for a separate, controlling application.

Regards,

--A