RE: [xsl] Saxon for windows?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Saxon for windows?
From: Pieter Reint Siegers Kort <pieter.siegers@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 08:31:31 -0500
Hi Karl,

For .NET on Windows, I'm using Saxon to run natively under .NET to get early
support for XPath2, XSLT2 and XQuery1. Basically, I use a background process
that runs in it's native environment - for Saxon, that is the Java runtime.
The process runs in the background and I just capture its output while being
able to do other things in my application - it's completely independent.

I also am able to run multiple processors like XslTransform (.NET), MSXML
(COM), and Xalan-J (Java) - all do have XSLT1 support. I included Saxon to
get XSLT2 and XQuery1 support. The app I'm building is called XmlBench and
sofar I'm happy with it - it has reached almost RTM version. When I'm up to
it I will expose the code on SF.net.

There's also a Saxon.NET port, but since it is based on IKVM.NET there's no
way to get the performance comparing to native use. It also lacks the
benefit of being sure to get the output the way it's supposed to be. They
are working on a port to C# too, but I don't see the point anymore since my
app is doing it better and faster, and I get updates for free.

Cheers,
Pieter