Re: [xsl] Anybody know when "transform" became the term for the type of thing XSLT does?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Anybody know when "transform" became the term for the type of thing XSLT does?
From: David Nedrow <listbox@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:43:20 -0400
Dan,

The term 'transform' predates XML, which inherited it from SGML (which probably inherited from GML). While I can't provide a definitive source/reason, using the terms 'transform' and 'transformation' is an important part of differentiating a presentation agnostic markup with the transformed presentation format (eg. DVI, HTML, etc.) You can always tell when someone is new to DocBook XML for example, because they will generally ask "how do I make something bold?" It takes a while for them to realize that the semantic markup of DocBook has nothing, to do with it's presentation characteristics after transformation.

Extraction generally refers to pulling information out of specific tags, as when one uses [SG|X]ML for data interchange.

I've never heard anyone use the term "markup translation". That would seem to indicate either an I18N effort, or a transform to another markup language, which may not be the case. Since at least the late 80's, everyone at IBM always used the term transformation, though I've seen comments from old-timers at IBM (circa 1975) that talk about "translating" GML markup.

Transform seems to be the most descriptive and applicable term.

My 2-cents. ;)

-David