Re: [xsl] Nodeset problems

Subject: Re: [xsl] Nodeset problems
From: Ragulf Pickaxe <ragulf.pickaxe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:47:41 +0200
Hi David Carlisle,

> I would guess that you have bound the input parameter to the top level
> element rather than the root node so $input is root
> so $input/root is looking for
> <root>
>  <root>
> which is empty and you want
> $input/something

Thank you very much for the answer to that, which was totally right.

>  <xsl:variable name="Test-Input" select="ms:node-set($Input)"/>
>
> I'm surprised that you need to do that (or even that it's allowed)
> in most implementations a node-set() extension function can only be
> applied to a result tree fragment (converting it into a node set)
> and result tree fragments are only generated by xsl:variable without a
> select argument.

This was not allowed - it gave an error. The Test-Input was done after
the other three tests I made - and generated the error stated.

> Why not use teTh document() function rather relying on the
> system-specific mapping of DOM nodes to xpath node sets?

For the reasons explained in other threads. I have the data in a
database, and it is not feasible to save the data to a file - they are
dynamic. Joe Fawsett has been kind enough to give me some C# code that
will enable me to use the document() function directly to database,
but that would take some extra implementing, and as this works (after
you explaining what to do), I will use this for now.

Regards,
Ragulf Pickaxe :-)