Re: [xsl] find position of first occurrence in a node set

Subject: Re: [xsl] find position of first occurrence in a node set
From: James Neff <jneff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:51:29 -0400
Yes I did change jobs :)

Thanks for the quick response.

--Jim

JBryant@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi, James,

Did you change companies? I recall your e-mail used to be something else (or perhaps I mis-remember).

Anyway, you can use the xsl:number instruction to get what you want:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<xsl:stylesheet version="2.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";>

 <xsl:template match="/">
   <xsl:number select="transaction_set/segment[@type='HL']"/>
 </xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Just tested it with Saxon 8.4 and got 3.

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

James Neff <jneff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 07/29/2005 01:08 PM
Please respond to
xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To XSL list <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> cc

Subject
[xsl] find position of first occurrence in a node set

Greetings,

I have a node set that looks like this:

<transaction_set>

 <segment type='SL'>
 </segment>

 <segment type='GS'>
 </segment>

 <segment type='HL'>
 </segment>

 <segment type='PR'>
 </segment>

</transaction_set>

I need to find the position of the first <segment> element that has the type of 'HL'. So for my example above it should return 3.

Thanks you in advance,