RE: [xsl] Using Saxon 8.5 and collection() to process a directory of XML files

Subject: RE: [xsl] Using Saxon 8.5 and collection() to process a directory of XML files
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 19:58:11 +0100
18.1.2 says:

   "There is no prohibition on calling extension functions that have
side-effects."

There's nothing that limits the nature of the side-effects.

(Incidentally, a rather more questionable extension function is saxon:try(),
which catches errors in evaluating its parameters. This is really a
pseudo-function. However, the basic principle is that a user who uses
extension functions knows that they are sacrificing portability, and I'm
prepared to interpret the spec liberally if it's the only way to deliver
functionality that users need. If you don't like it, don't use the
extension.)

Michael Kay