Re: [xsl] Using Saxon 8.5 and collection() to process a directory of XML files

Subject: Re: [xsl] Using Saxon 8.5 and collection() to process a directory of XML files
From: Colin Paul Adams <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 04 Aug 2005 20:28:21 +0100

    Michael> 18.1.2 says: "There is no prohibition on calling
    Michael> extension functions that have side-effects."

    Michael> There's nothing that limits the nature of the
    Michael> side-effects.

Except there's nothing that states these side effects are allowed to
override other provisions of the standard (in this case, the node
identity of document nodes for a given document URI).

    Michael> sacrificing portability, and I'm prepared to interpret
    Michael> the spec liberally if it's the only way to deliver
    Michael> functionality that users need. If you don't like it,
    Michael> don't use the extension.)

That's fine, if a function that causes deviation from standard
behaviour is clearly marked.

What concerns me, is that if 18.1.2 gives license to change any
provisions of the standards, then this ought to be clearly spelled out
(it certainly isn't clear to me). And if that isn't the intention of
the working group as a whole, then it should probably also be spelled
out.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire