Re: [xsl] Joining sibling elements

Subject: Re: [xsl] Joining sibling elements
From: Marcin Miłkowski <milek_pl@xxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 23:46:56 +0200
JBryant@xxxxxxxxx napisa3(a):
Hi, Marcin,

I have worked a bit with WordML, and I generally don't get such cluttered output. I suggest that you investigate what you can do to get Word to produce more reasonable output. Even at its best, though, WordML tends to be very verbose, so I bet you'll want a way to merge the content of sibling tags no matter what you can do with Word to improve the source.

I'm getting such output with Polar WordML Addon in Word 2000 (I didn't buy Word 2003 because I never needed it) and I work on a WordML<>XLIFF filter. I don't think I would like buying Word 2003 only for writing a piece of open source software, either :)

The problem is that in a worst case scenario a user can turn bold on and off several times in a row or apply different formatting to every single character. The intelligent filters should however do something with such garbage before the translation starts. I wouldn't count on Word cleaning up such a mess because most of the time it adds more formatting rather than deletes redundant parts.

I think I'll have to use some advanced grouping for this as general algorithms would only eliminate pairs of identical tags, and not larger groups.

cheers,
	Marcin