Re: [xsl] Increment a variable

Subject: Re: [xsl] Increment a variable
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 06:33:30 +1000
> >I know the idea, which is called the Piez method.
>
> *Some* of us call it the "Piez method"... :->
>
> Others of us call it "the ugly hack once suggested by Wendell as a
> workaround to avoid having to code a recursion, as if that were so hard".
> (But as the European Editor of the TEI once said in another forum, there
> are those who love recursion, and those who find it terrifying.)

Wendell,

I love recursion, but I also love original thinking.

The Piez method, in particular.

The XSLT 1.0 Period was  typical for that it required some ingenious
tricks to fill and supplement the terseness and incompleteness of the
XSLT 1.0 language.

While this thread shows how very easy it is to misunderstand and abuse
these inventions, people, who invented such tricks to help everyone
else are the heroes of the XSLT 1.0 era.

Cheers,
Dimitre.

> Oh well: that's the risk you run when you suggest tricky ways of
> accomplishing things, I guess. It'll serve me right if in another five
> years, people who learned the "Piez method" in school are still using it in
> their XSLT 2.0, where there's no excuse for it at all. I'll probably be the
> one that has to fix their code.
>
> So then, Mike writes
>
> >This is "trick programming", some would say it's a dirty trick, and it's a
> >matter of personal taste whether you use it.
>
> ... and I hasten to add "some, including some (one) who thought of it".
>
> Cheers,
> Wendell

> Wendell Piez                            mailto:wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Mulberry Technologies, Inc.                http://www.mulberrytech.com
> 17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9635
> Suite 207                                          Phone: 301/315-9631
> Rockville, MD  20850                                 Fax: 301/315-8285
>   Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in SGML and XML

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev
Harry did not ask how Dumbledore knew; ...but Harry had long since
learned that bangs and smoke were more often the marks of ineptitude
than expertise.