Re: [xsl] How to get UTC displayed on XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] How to get UTC displayed on XSLT
From: Dennis Barb <dennisxmlwork@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:15:47 -0700 (PDT)
At 9:13 PM +0530 8/24/05, Mukul Gandhi wrote:
>I think its time we XSLT programmers should start
thinking switching
>to XSLT 2.0. Apart from the availability of this
feature as David
>pointed, XPath 2.0 has a huge function library (as
compared to
>XPath 1.0). The spec is also now pretty stable, so
there is quite
>less risk of the language features getting changed.

What does "pretty stable" mean? What you call "quite
less risk" means "don't even think about it!" in an
environment where XSLT is mission critical.

XSLT 2.0 is:
  - not a stable published specification and may still
change significantly
  - not widely implemented
  - incompatible with XSLT 1.0 in some subtle ways
that make
     conversion of existing libraries risky

I am not certain that my organization will EVER move
to XSLT 2.0. We work with the type of data XSLT 1.0
was designed for (documents) and have been using it
for quite a while, quite successfully. XSLT 2.0 looks
to us like it was designed to meet significantly
different needs and for different people working with
significantly different types of data.

While XSLT 2.0 may meet YOUR needs better than does
XSLT 1.0, I do not think there is much benefit in it
for me. And even if there were, this would certainly
NOT be the time; not until it is final and widely
supported.

Dennis

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs