Re: [xsl] 1.0 and 2.0 and suitability for tasks

Subject: Re: [xsl] 1.0 and 2.0 and suitability for tasks
From: Frans Englich <frans.englich@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:24:50 +0000
On Wednesday 24 August 2005 21:40, David Carlisle wrote:
[...]

> I think XSLT 1 will hang around for a long time, because I don't expect
> to see xslt2 in the browsers any time soon, and because many of us have
> a lot of xslt1 code, but for my own projects (which are almost aways
> document-oriented) I'd always use xslt2 for new projects.

I am working on KXPath, an XPath 2.0 implementation written from scratch on
top of KDOM, the KHTML engine's "next generation" DOM implementation. KHTML
backs up Konqueror and Safari, roughly.

Nothing is definite. Considering that I work on an open source basis nothing
can be predicted, but KXPath have advanced significantly, and I have small
hope for that an XSL-T 2.0 implementation could be ready for KDE 4[1]. While
many different outcomes are possible, that particular one is perhaps one of
them.

The Safari team periodically port work from the KDOM team, so it wouldn't
surprise me if KXPath/KXSL-T got ported to Safari, once they were stable and
complete.

Hence, to the question whether XSL-T 2.0 will appear in browsers any time
soon, I would say there is a small hope at the horizon, although nothing is
predictable.

Cheers,

		Frans

PS. No, this letter was no announcement, nor did it imply any endorsement from
any party.

1.
www.kde.org, the desktop environment which Konqueror is part of.