Re: [xsl] XSLT on the server side

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT on the server side
From: António Mota <amsmota@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 15:22:20 +0100
Ofcourse your insights are very welcome.

> I suppose that using the XmlHttpRequest to fetch an XSLT document to then
use it
> on client side won't make any difference in the end :)

There are two concrete situations that make me think on moving to
server-side:

1) I have situations where i load a 10000 lines XML just to transform
it into a 500 lines, so i think this is better done on the server so i
can load only the 500 lines needed.

2) I have situations where i invoke a ASP from a XSLT using document()
function passing some info in the URL of the document. However i want
to pass a bunch of nodes to it, like i'll do in a send a POST instead
of a GET.

> I guess due to the lack of correct client side environment
> development (understand lack of Javascript tools...)

I can live with only the Mozilla Javascript Debugger for that...

> Saxon.NET is already a port of Saxon so be sure they'll work the same :)
> But again, as long as your XSLT processor respects the W3 standards you
don't
> have to worry, they'll output the same result.

But my question is, can i invoke the XSLT directly, or do i have to
write some wrapper to it, like a ASP on a IIS or a Servlet on a J2EE
server?

> Hope my 2 cents helped :)

It sure helps, thanks a lot.