[xsl] Re: avoiding disable-output-escaping, how to output M$ wierd syntax

Subject: [xsl] Re: avoiding disable-output-escaping, how to output M$ wierd syntax
From: iwantto keepanon <iwanttokeepanon@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 20:39:13 +0400 (MSD)
>> <xsl:comment>[if IE]>&lt;link rel=3D"stylesheet" type=3D"text/css"
>> href=3D"/~rodney/times/css/ieonly.css" media=3D"screen"
>> />&lt;![endif]</xsl:comment>

>> But I'm not sure this is better markup than using
>> "disable-output-escaping".

David:

> yes, a lot better!

I understand that using "disable-output-escaping" to generate <!--[if IE]>...<![endif]-->
was a hack (but so is IE's if "pragma" ... if you will).  But why is
this better by "a lot!"?  I understand that it keeps with the XML
paradigm and doesn't twist the language into writing something not
natural.

But at the same time, "link" is no longer an element and that isnt
quite natural either.  If this stylesheet was ever passed thru another
stylesheet, the link element could not be accessed via XPath.

How about:
   <![CDATA[<!--[if IE]>]]>
   <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/~rodney/times/css/ieonly.css" media="screen" />
   <![CDATA[<![endif]-->]]>

Since the IE crud isnt anything but crap that an XSL processor should
never be forced to write.

And for those concerned, the site is XHTML valid and CSS valid (per
w3c validators).  I designed the site for Opera and Firefox and then I
added the necessary CSS to make IE work.  The page was influenced by:
   http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=EmulatingFrames
   specifically the example http://www.fu2k.org/alex/css/frames/fixed

Thx for all the feedback so far...
--