Re: [xsl] attribute test

Subject: Re: [xsl] attribute test
From: Jon Gorman <jonathan.gorman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:27:37 -0500
I think there is some confusion here.

not(/Root/foo/@att!='hi')
will return true if the document has all the /Root/foo/@att have the value
hi.

So you should be getting results from all those documents that have
all those @att attributes with values of hi.  If you want to only
process if there is at least one @att that doesn't have the value hi
you should be able to do just

/Root/foo/@att!='hi'

(not() is negation.  When working with node sets I believe it returns
true if there is any node in the node set that satisifies the
condition.  I'd have to double check the standard for what happens
with comparing two nodesets, but that's neither here nor there.

I was kinda wondering how that solution was working but figured
perhaps my brain was scrambled today as well ;).

Jon Gorman

ps See the first note in 3.4 of the XPATH 1.0 spec for a similar
description of the not(foo != name) type test