RE: [xsl] encoding on parameters for document function (using saxon)

Subject: RE: [xsl] encoding on parameters for document function (using saxon)
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 19:45:24 +0100
> To me it seems potentially full of confusion. Why on earth re-use an
> existing term with a completely different meaning (URI reference),
> when the term IRI -reference already exists with the required meaning?

Largely because we felt the user community wasn't ready for us to start
talking about namespace IRIs, base IRIs, etc, and we didn't want to rename
functions like namespace-uri(), and we also have the existing type
xs:anyURI. As with the move from URL to URI, renaming concepts when you
refine the definition can cause an awful lot of people to get left behind.
We decided that introducing IRI into the vocabulary would be just too
confusing.

Michael Kay