Re: [xsl] Opinions, please. Keep entire archive or toss old?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Opinions, please. Keep entire archive or toss old?
From: Jon Gorman <jonathan.gorman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:50:16 -0500
As a newcomer and a rather infrequent poster my input shouldn't be
weighted quite as heavily as some of the others, but I do enjoy this
list quite a bit.  I say keep them all in.

> Both were from people who seemed to be embarrassed that they had
> asked beginner questions and wanted to be known for their more
> advanced contributions.

I'm sympathetic to some extent.  I've made some mistakes over the
years, and a few on this list.  But on the other hand, I don't think
I'm a total fool so if I make a mistake it's likely others are making
the same.  This is a strong argument for keeping them in.  I would be
hard-pressed to think less of anyone if I found them asking beginning
or "silly" questions, unless they kept repeatedly asking the same type
month after month.

>One also implied that since the practice of
> XSL has changed over the years the older postings are misleading.

Of course, there can be downright mistakes in the archives....but I
think that's just something we'll have to live with.  Hopefully those
mistakes would be caught in the same thread and people will actually
read the whole thread.

Practices and languages change, but hopefully people interested in
XSLT have done some basic research and realize this.  Also, anyone
searching the archive I would hope does check out the date.

There might be those who will need to know more about older versions.
It's rare, but we've already seen a few in the past week or so where
someone has says I'm using processor x which is a few years old and
was wondering what to do.

And there's a great deal that hasn't changed.  I'll find things
occasionally in the archives that are a few years old but still helped
me.

Of course, I'm a librarian. I'd just hate to think of that information
as not being accessible since it seems quite a bit of it could still
be useful.

Jon Gorman