RE: [xsl] JAXP - Ignoring whitespaces from a Node object passed as parameter for XSLT transformation

Subject: RE: [xsl] JAXP - Ignoring whitespaces from a Node object passed as parameter for XSLT transformation
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 17:36:43 +0100
> Using the document() function was my previous implementation step: as
> I'm on the optimization stage now and I need to apply the same
> transformation to *multiple* XML sources, I'd prefer NOT to
> load *each*
> time that *same* nodeset but to pass it as a parameter.

Don't assume that if you call document() twice on the same URI, the document
is automatically loaded and parsed twice. Details are
implementation-dependent.

> As I need such a parameter, IMHO I think that would be much
> more elegant
> to serve a nodeset already purged from ignorable whitespaces,
> instead of
> having to mind *existing* whitespaces...
>
> Is there a way to force the XPath parser to spit a resulting Node
> *without* ignorable whitespaces?

Try building the document using a transformation that strips spaces and does
nothing else; or write a simple SAX filter to do it.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/