Re: [xsl] Which patterns will select the root node?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Which patterns will select the root node?
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 05:58:53 +1000
To Mike and Oleg:

On 10/17/05, Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > node() matches the root node, for example in the following
> > XPath expression:
> >
> >      ancestor::node()
>
> But ancestor::node() is not a valid match pattern.

Sure. From the OP I couldn't get a firm impression if he wanted to
have the root node matched by a match pattern -- he never used this
term -- or selected by any XPath expression. Therefore I tried to
answer both questions.

I gave  ancestor::node as an example of an XPath expression that
matches the root node, not as an example of a match pattern. Probably
we need a more strict terminology in order to distinguish between
these two important cases.

It is good to have such questions that help emphasize the difference
between XPath expressions and match patterns.

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev