RE: [xsl] String evaluation problem

Subject: RE: [xsl] String evaluation problem
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:50:22 +0100
This one made me chuckle (sorry!), because it's so imaginative.
Unfortunately the processing model is completely different from the way you
are imagining it. Entity definitions in the stylesheet are expanded by the
XML parser before XSLT gets to see the stylesheet. The XSLT processor
doesn't know that any entities ever existed.

It's just about possible (though not at all convenient) to generate an
entity reference in the result document that's expanded using the entities
defined in the DTD of the result document, when the result document comes to
be used. But really, XSLT and entities aren't very happy bedfellows.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/