Re: [xsl] line breaks in XML data

Subject: Re: [xsl] line breaks in XML data
From: Jim Gay <jgay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:46:24 -0400
Excellent. I think that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

On Oct 20, 2005, at 5:39 PM, Michael Kay wrote:

I assume you are generating HTML, and what you really mean is that where
there is a new line in the XML, you want the text to show on a new line in
the browser? For that, it's not enough for the XSLT to preserve the line
breaks, it needs to convert them into <br> elements.

Like many string manipulation tasks this one is easiest using 2.0:

<xsl:analyze-string select="." regex="\n">
  <xsl:matching-substring><br/></xsl:matching-substring>
</

But it's not too hard in 1.0: google for "XSLT replace newline BR".

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/