Re: [xsl] SVG object creation with XSLT using successive abstraction layers

Subject: Re: [xsl] SVG object creation with XSLT using successive abstraction layers
From: Jon Gorman <jonathan.gorman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 12:29:51 -0600
> I would like to be able to use this paradigm of expressing higher level
> objects in terms of basic ones in an scenario with an arbitrary
> number of layers, not only two as I comment here for clarity.
>
> Could any one of you provide me with a clue?

Just some ideas sorry I can't provide specific help.  In similar
situations where I've had to generate SVG  I have run into similar
problems.

I'd suggest perhaps considering pipelining (executing a series of
stylesheets, each one using the output of the last).  It's difficult
to recommend anything specific without knowing details of the system.
But essentially something checks the results of the transformation,
and if it still contains higher, run the stylesheet on it again.  I
suggest this because I've found converting into SVG tends to be easier
as a sequence of transformations.

Otherwise look into recursive functions.   Process a node set, expand
all highers into basic, then check that node-set.  If it still needs
to expand, call the procedure again with that nodeset.

Jon Gorman