Re: [xsl] looping on a line (an XSLT 2.0 solution)

Subject: Re: [xsl] looping on a line (an XSLT 2.0 solution)
From: JBryant@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:40:25 -0600
> could you give an example of a a recursive
> function looping on substring-before()?

Note that neither this solution nor the 1.0 solution I posted earlier are
functions. 2.0 does have the ability to support user-defined functions,
which would be yet another way to solve this problem. It seems to me,
though, that analyze-string is a perfect fit for this kind of problem.

Here's one of several ways to go at it in XSLT 2.0:

<xsl:stylesheet version="2.0"

  <xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes"/>

  <xsl:template match="d">
    <nos>
      <xsl:apply-templates/>
    </nos>
  </xsl:template>

  <xsl:template match="data">
    <xsl:analyze-string select="." regex=",">
      <xsl:matching-substring/>
      <xsl:non-matching-substring>
        <no><xsl:value-of select="."/></no>
      </xsl:non-matching-substring>
    </xsl:analyze-string>
  </xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Tested with Saxon 8.6.

Given the same XML file as my 1.0 answer, it produces the same output.

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services