[xsl] Selectively "delete" elements/attributes from the output

Subject: [xsl] Selectively "delete" elements/attributes from the output
From: avo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 04:52:39 +0000
I'm doing XML to XML transformation (newbie when it comes to XML and XSLT)
Say I have an XML document like this

<element1 att1="a" att2="b">
<element11>text1</element11>
</element1>
<element2>text2</element2>
</root>

I want to delete att1 and att2 from element1 so that output will look like
this:
<root>
<element1>
<element11>text1</element11>
</element1>
<element2>text2</element2>
</root>

I could write a template that call <xsl:copy-of select=3D"..." to basically
copy everything except the two attributes there. But this is just small
examples, with more complex XML files, where I want to delete things here and
there, this becomes unscalable (the problem applies to both attributes
elements, and text, not just attributes)
Basically what I want to do is to have a template for each element/attribute
that I want to "not copy" (delete), for ex:

<xsl:template match=3D"root/element1/@att1"/>
(doing nothing, essentially not copying the attribute over)

Since the built-in templates for everything else do not copy the element
nodes over (only text nodes are output), I have to provide templates for
the rest to copy them over (not sure how to do this effectively, either),
which is not very efficient.

So my question comes down to:
Can I provide rules for each of the thing I want to "delete", and then have
one template to copy over everything else
~Anh